Friday, July 6, 2012

Making Pizza Sauce from scratch!

This morning the tomatoes from our garden were adding up and I could not bear to see them go bad, so I decided to try to make the pizza sauce for dinner tonight.  When I try to make something I usually look at the ingredients and directions from several different recipes and after I have the basic idea, I wing it.  Most times it turns out well, but sometimes it is a flop.  This is what I did for today's recipe. 
  
STEP 1: Gather 6-8 ripe Roma tomatoes, place them in boiling water for 30 seconds each, remove.
 STEP 2: Core the tomatoes and slice in half lengthwise, the skin will then peel right off.
 STEP 3: Let your 2 year old run the power tool.  AR AR AR!
 STEP 4: Place in sauce pan and add ingredients to taste.  I used some fresh garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil and a dash of honey.  I didn't like the light color and the thinness of my sauce so at the last minute I decided to add one can of tomato paste.
STEP 5: Let simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes and TA DA!  Since I am juice fasting, Mark tasted it and said it was good.

2 comments:

  1. Is it really necessary to core the tomatoes? I've never done that before...is it because it's Roma tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy... I just took out the very top portion where the stem is, which I always do. The directions said to core them but seeds don't bother me so I wasn't too particular about that part.

      Delete