Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 5 of 7 (Juice Fasting Round 2)

For me by this point in my fast I am really just in cruise mode.  Everything is basically the same, I feel good, I have energy, I am hungry occasionally but it isn't killing me.  Two more days until I eat... what am I craving?  PEANUTS!  LOL.

Although today was rather boring and uneventful I did have sort of an epiphany regarding the lack of hunger in our lives and its consequences.  I think I mentioned that I do a LOT of cooking while I am fasting.  I am not sure why but I just love being in the kitchen and doing things with food even if I can't eat it!  So today while I was cutting up fresh garlic, onions and peppers to make fajitas, my mouth was actually watering over the vegetables.

What I suddenly realized is that when I am hungry EVERYTHING looks and smells so good.  This might be a no brainer, but think about it for a minute.  When we are not truly hungry it takes a lot more "umph" to appeal to our appetite... normally in the form of high sugar, high fat foods.  But when you are hungry, really hungry, a fresh vegetable salad looks just as delicious as a bowl of peanut butter cup ice cream!  (I am not exaggerating here!)  Our problem as Americans is, we rarely experience REAL hunger, so we are not often craving salad or fresh healthy foods, instead it takes "more" to appeal to us.  Here is an example...  when was the last time you ate a dessert when you were already full?  We do it all the time, don't we?  Now think about this, when was the last time you were full and said to yourself "just one more carrot stick"?  It just doesn't happen very often.

So it dawned on me that real hunger is actually a blessing.  It allows good, fresh, healthy food to appeal to my appetite as much as the junk that I would most times rather be eating.  I have learned over the last year to see occasional hunger not as something to be avoided but rather as something that enriches my life and makes me appreciate good food more.

Day FIVE notes:
*Weight- 104.6 (first thing in the morning).
*Energy- excellent!
*Hunger- I've come to embrace it.
*Headache- None
*Coffee- 1.5 cups


No comments:

Post a Comment